If you’re thinking of setting up your own website, there are a few very basic, but very important things you need to know. This is a quick guide to getting the best out of your website.
- You need a simple process to set up your website: Choose your name > Register the name > Choose your plan > Set up your site. You also need someone to talk to about any issues or your needs for your website.
- You need to consider how much space you’ll require for your site. If you use a lot of graphics or media, you’ll need a bit extra. These media files can use up a surprising amount of space.
- You need a website that’s easy to work with, with no bugs. The best option is to get a site designed for you. It’s surprisingly cheap to get a website set up, too. You can decide how much you want to pay.
- Your web hosting provider needs to be simple, with a straightforward range of services and fees. It’s a good idea to browse the range of options and select your preferences.
- You need to know how to get support from your web host. Good web hosts are reliable, quick, and no-fuss.
- If you’re thinking of starting up an online shop, you need to know how to manage the back end work. You’re strongly advised to get an SSL certificate, for example, as insurance against fraud and hacking.
- You need to consider your server options, too. In heavy traffic, servers can slow down. A virtual private server (VPS) is a good option, ensuring your traffic has its own private resources space.
- If you’re designing your own website, it’s good to have a knowledgeable host which can help you out with any design issues. Some design software can be “fussy”, and you may also have publishing issues you need to discuss.
- Backups are critical for all websites. It’s possible to lose data online. It’s a particularly frustrating experience, and sometimes expensive, if your online store or other business goes offline.
- Email is critical for any website. Email isn’t just a built-in service. It’s a great organiser for communications with clients, keeping your records, and everything to do with your business. You need to look for a service with plenty of email options.
If you’re trying to find a good, easy to work with, does-everything web hosting service, talk to us. All you need to do is tell us what you want. Call us or fill in our online form, we’re happy to help.